Monday, May 19, 2008

How Do You Know Your Dog Got Ticks?

Hi,

My 2 dogs, Jack the Beagle and Ruby the Corgi, have not have any fleas or ticks for a few years and I have not really done anything different from my usual grooming regime of bathing them fortnightly, brushing their fur daily, visit the vet annually for the vaccinations and getting their nails trimmed at the pet shop next to the vet clinic.

So how do you know that your dog has fleas or ticks?

If your dog is seen to be scratching itself a lot or more than before lately, you should comb its fur and see if there is any fleas or ticks.

Or when you are playing with your dog and touching it with your hand, use your hand to brush against it fur on the body and see if you feel any lump. If you detect a lump, then open up the fur and have a look. It could be a tick or something else but it is worth your while to do what I call a body search.
My personal experience is that I found the presence of tick on my dogs by doing a body search on them. It is most effective for me and I also catch the tick early before it gets out of control.

Of course, if your dog is already scratching like crazy then it is obvious that there is a presence of a possible tick or flea infestation. I strongly suggest that you quickly take it to the vet for immediate treatment and advice. You are likely asked to clean up your house or apratment too, especially if it is carpeted.

Good luck and take care!

David

No comments: